Install the WebAssign Building Block
Install and configure the WebAssign building block to enable WebAssign access through Blackboard®.
The latest version of the WebAssign building block is 2.2.0. Only this version is available for installation. Earlier versions are not supported.
This version of the building block is supported for Blackboard 9.1 Service Pack 8 and later, including SaaS deployment with either the Original or Ultra Course View.
Before you begin, open a support case to request a domain, key, and secret for your Blackboard installation.
Download the WebAssign building block.
To download from Do this WebAssign
Download the war file from webassign.net/blackboard/webassign.war.
- Go to www.blackboard.com/partnerships/extensions.aspx.
- Find the WebAssign building block v2.x.x and click WebAssign Building Block v2.x.x.
- Click Get It Now and complete the requested information.
- Click I Accept The Download Agreement.
- Click GET IT NOW.
- Log in to Blackboard as a system administrator.
Navigate to the list of installed building blocks.
- Open the administrator panel.
- Under Building Blocks, click Building Blocks.
- Click Installed Tools.
Install the building block.
- Click Upload Building Blocks.
- Browse to the WebAssign building block you downloaded and click Submit.
When prompted to confirm database changes, click
The WebAssign building block is installed.Note: Do not navigate away from the page until the installation is finished.
- If needed, click Return to go back to the Installed Tools page.
The WebAssign building block is listed with its version and availability status.
Set up the connection with WebAssign.
Change the Availability of the WebAssign
building block from Inactive to Unavailable.
A list of permissions required by the building block is displayed.
You can now configure the building block before making it available.
- Beside the WebAssign building block, click Settings.
- On the Configure page, click Specify Connection.
Enter the domain, key, and secret provided to you by WebAssign.
Note: You do not need a new key and secret when upgrading existing installations of the WebAssign building block to a later version.
Do not use Internet Explorer® / Microsoft® Edge to test the connection; incorrect Connection Failed errors have been reported for successful connections when using Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge.
If the connection is established, a Connection Successful message is displayed.
If you can't connect:
- Verify the key and secret were entered correctly and test the connection again.
- Contact Customer Support.
- Change the Availability of the WebAssign building block from Inactive to Unavailable.
Make the new building block available for use.
Important: Do not make the building block available in the middle of a term.
The first time a student accesses WebAssign from Blackboard, a new linked WebAssign account is automatically created. In the middle of a term, this results in each student having two WebAssign accounts enrolled in the same class.
- At the top of the Configure page, click Installed Tools and navigate to the WebAssign building block.
- Change the Availability of the building block to Available.
If nearly all Blackboard classes at your school also use WebAssign, you can set Course/Org Default to
Available to display the WebAssign tool by default for new courses.
Important: Do not set Course/Org Default to Available if a significant number of instructors use Blackboard but not WebAssign.