Apply Bonus or Penalty Points Automatically
You can give bonus points or apply penalties automatically to discourage random guessing, encourage students to complete their work early, give partial credit for attempting questions, or give extra credit for some questions.
One of your challenges as an instructor is to motivate your students to learn. You want them to:
- complete assignments as early as possible, while material is still fresh and they have time to ask you questions
- think carefully about each question and not try to "game" the system by submitting random responses
- go beyond the minimum requirements of the class and learn additional material or apply concepts in more sophisticated ways
Because students will change their behavior to get a better overall grade, just using WebAssign helps motivate your students to complete their homework. And implementing effective extension policies helps motivate your students to complete work on time.
But to go beyond that, you can also use conditional bonus or penalty points to motivate your students. With conditional points, you can easily:
- provide bonuses for submitting work early
- use penalties to discourage guessing
- add extra credit questions that do not penalize incorrect answers
- give partial credit for attempting questions
In the question details for any question, your students can see the exact bonuses or penalties that will be applied.
The automatic bonus or penalty is applied immediately when your students submit answers that meet the specified conditions.
These can all be implemented for anything from a single question part to an entire assignment by selecting the options you want in a simple user interface. With just a little more work, you can write your own conditional points formulas, using criteria like the time of submission or number of submissions, that specifically address your students' unique needs.
You can set conditional points from several locations in WebAssign, depending on your goal.
- In the Assignment Editor or in the Assignment Templates Manager, you can set conditional points for the entire assignment (Assignment Settings) under . These settings are applied automatically to questions when they are added to the assignment.
- In the Assignment Editor, you can set conditional points for a question part, question, or question pool in the Bonus or Penalty column. To show this column, click Show Per-Question Settings and select Bonus or Penalty.
If you must change a scheduled assignment, notify your students of the change and rescore the assignment. See Rescore Assignments.