Grade Answers for Specific Students
You can grade your students' answers to short answer, essay, pencilPad®, file-upload, and Show My Work questions for a specific student to have a more complete view of the student's grasp of the subject matter.
Open the My Classes
Clickand find the section you want.
Click scores beside the
The Scores page displays scores for the selected assignment for all students currently enrolled in the section.Note: The page might load slowly if your class has many students or if the assignment has many questions.
Select the check box for the student or students whose answers you want to
Tip: You can select multiple students for grading.
Click Grade Answers.
- For Questions, select Grade All.
- For Student Names, select either to Show or Hide student names when grading.
- Click Start Grading.
A student's answers are displayed in the Grade Answers page, along with the answer keys.
Only answers to questions that can be graded are displayed.
Score your student's answers for each question.
Evaluate the answer using the key or assigned rubric to determine the
Only the student's latest answer is displayed to be scored. To view your student's previous answers for the assignment, click View Responses and view any previous answers to the question.
- Type the score in the Score box.
Type information in the Comment box to help your
You might indicate what parts of the question were not adequately addressed in the student's response, possibly with a scoring rubric, or you might provide an explanation to help your student better understand the material.
Click Save This Score/Comment to save the score
and comment for the current question only.
Your score and comment replace any previous score or comment.
- Evaluate the answer using the key or assigned rubric to determine the student's score.
When you are done grading the answers for the current student, click
All of your scores and comments for the current student are saved, and the next student's answers are displayed.Note: If you are grading the last selected student, this button is labeled Save & Exit Grading and reopens the Scores page.
- Repeat as needed to grade all of your students' assignments.
- You do not have to grade all answers at one time.
You can click Save to save your scores and comments, and then grade the remaining answers at another time. You might want to make a note to yourself indicating which answers have been graded and which have not.
- Multiple graders can review students' answers.
If you want to average the scores of multiple graders, each grader should add a score to the Comment box (without removing comments or scores from previous graders). The last grader can then manually average the scores and type the resulting score in the Score box.
- If you are grading answers after the end of the course:
- The class will be listed under Past Classes.
- The assignment will be listed under Past Assignments.
- Your students will all be listed as Dropped.