Schedule a Conditional Release Restricted Assignment
You can require each of your students to achieve a threshold score on a previous assignment before starting work on the assignment with the conditional release restriction.
Conditional release restricted assignments are indicated with a conditional release icon .
You must achieve 70% or higher on Homework 1 to access this assignment.
You might want add a conditional release restriction in order to:
- Ensure your students understand certain concepts or gain skills through an assignment before they move on to an assignment that requires a more advanced skill level.
- Allow your students to work at their own pace, completing assignments in a particular order, as long as they achieve the release score you set.
- Require your students to complete a "starter" assignment, such as a placement quiz or a survey, before they begin assignments for your class.
|Waive the restriction for specific students.||Either the students must contact you to request a waiver, or you
must review the your students' scores on the prerequisite assignment to
determine who needs the restriction to be waived.
Tip: This is a good way to identify students who are struggling. Then you can, as needed:
|Specify a date after which the conditional release restriction is automatically waived for all students.||
This ensures that every student has an opportunity to complete the assignment without your intervention. Allow enough time after the waiver release date for struggling students to complete the conditional release restricted assignment before it is due.
|Do neither.||The conditional release restricted assignment will be available
only to students achieving the threshold score on the prerequisite
Note: Use this strategy only to challenge or reward your top students with bonus assignments.
Before scheduling a conditional release restricted assignment, schedule the prerequisite assignment. This is the assignment your students must complete before they start the conditional release assignment. It must be available for students to begin work before the conditional release restricted assignment is due.
To schedule a conditional release restricted assignment:
- Schedule the assignment, if you have not already done so.
Open the Schedule page and navigate to the
From My Classes, click Class Schedule under Class Tools.Tip: Click a scheduled assignment in the Assignments list to view the week for which it is scheduled.
- Beside the assignment, click .
- On the Edit Restrictions page, select Conditional Release.
- Enter the threshold score that your students must achieve.
Select the prerequisite assignment on which your students must achieve the
You can choose from other assignments for this section that will be available to your students before the current assignment is due.Important: Do not change the prerequisite assignment after students have begun work on the current assignment.
Allow all students to complete the assignment after a specified date, even if
they did not meet the threshold score on the prerequisite assignment.
- Select Automatically waive restriction for all students after.
- Set the date and time after which the restriction is automatically waived.
Students who do not achieve the threshold score on the prerequisite assignment can work on the current assignment after the restriction is waived automatically.
- Click Save.