Before you start using WebAssign, or if you encounter problems when working in WebAssign, check to see if your system meets the following requirements.
Browsers Supported for WebAssign
WebAssign is supported for the following Web browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox, version 12 or later, for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows
- Google Chrome, version 19 or later, for Windows or Mac
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 8 or later, for Windows
- Apple Safari, version 5.1 or later, for Mac OS X and Windows
Other browsers might work, but are not supported. If you encounter problems when using a nonsupported browser, try using one of the supported browser versions.
Browser Plug-Ins Required for Some WebAssign Content
Some WebAssign content and tools require the following browser plug-ins:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 8 or later
- Adobe Flash Player, version 10 or later
- Adobe Shockwave Player, version 11 or later
- Java, version 6 (build 1.6.0) or later
If you encounter problems when using advanced features of WebAssign such as mathPad or eBooks, check to be sure that you have supported versions of these plug-ins installed.
Additional learning resources provided by textbook publishers or instructors might require other software.
Automatic Plug-In Version Checking
When you log in to WebAssign as a student, WebAssign checks your scheduled assignments for certain questions identified as requiring either Java version 6 or Adobe Flash Player version 10. If any of your assignments include these questions, your system is checked to see if you have the required plug-in version installed.
If you do not have the required plug-in version installed, a warning is displayed on your Home and My Assignments pages informing you about the required plug-in version.
Note: WebAssign does not perform a comprehensive check of all assignment questions to determine all plug-in requirements. You should be aware of the following:
- Questions using pencilPad or the WebAssign graphing tool require Adobe Flash Player, version 7 or later.
- Questions created by instructors might require other plug-ins or plug-in versions.
Click the plug-in icon in this warning to obtain and install the required plug-in.
Required Connectivity and Recommended Connection Speeds
WebAssign is a Web-based application and requires Internet access. For best performance, especially when working with media-enhanced eBooks or assignments, use a broadband connection such as Cable or DSL.
If broadband Internet access is not available in your area, use a dial-up connection speed of at least 56K.
Installing Browsers and Browser Plug-Ins
Use the following links to obtain installation instructions and downloads for the supported browsers and browser plug-ins.