Best Practices for Creating Assignments
These recommendations might help you when creating assignments for your classes.
- Use assignment templates to apply consistent settings for all of your assignments of the same type. WebAssign provides several assignment templates that you can use, or you can create your own templates.
- Schedule frequent short assignments instead of a few long ones.
- Use a variety of assignment categories, for
- Practice assignments with multiple allowable submissions and Practice Another Version enabled
- Homework with Practice Another Version enabled after final submission of the assignment
- Timed reading assignments to check comprehension
- Timed take-home quizzes with only one submission allowed and Practice Another Version enabled after the due date
- Proctored tests (timed, located-limited, and password protected)
- Enable Answer Format Tips so students can see the type of answer expected for each question (formula, numeric value, text).
- Allow students several submissions for homework. You might need to experiment to
determine the right number of submissions for your class.
- Too many submissions and students guess at the answer. Eliminate this problem by decreasing the credit available by 25% to 35% after each submission.
- Too few submissions and students cannot learn from their mistakes.