Best Practices for Scheduling Assignments
These recommendations might help you when scheduling assignments for your classes.
- Schedule frequent short assignments instead of a few long ones.
- Set the due date to one hour before the class meets.
- Use a variety of assignment categories, for
- Practice assignments with multiple allowable submissions and Practice Another Version enabled
- Homework with Practice Another Version enabled after final submission of the assignment
- Timed reading assignments to check comprehension
- Timed take-home quizzes with only one submission allowed and Practice Another Version enabled after the due date
- Proctored tests (timed, located-limited, and password protected)
- Encourage students to finish assignments by enabling automatic extensions with a penalty (20% or 25%).
- Offer manual extensions for students who need more time due to illness or other legitimate reasons. Decide on the penalty, if any, on a case-by-case basis.