Copy a Section to an Existing Course
If needed, you can copy a section from one course into another course. The section being copied is not changed.
This creates a new section in the course with all of the assignments scheduled from the section being copied. In addition, many of the settings from the original section are copied.
Open the My Classes
Clickand find the section you want.
- Under Class Tools, click Copy to Existing Course.
When prompted, click the name of the course into which you want to copy the
You can select from your current and future courses.
Type a Section.
When copying a section into an existing course, the section number is required.
- Select the primary Instructor.
Specify when the Class Meets.
- If the section you are copying
specifies meet days and times, you must specify meet days and times for
the new section.
Click the icons to select the days on which the class meets, and type the start and end times.
- If the section you are copying does not specify meet days and times, you can either specify meet days and times for the new section or select No scheduled class meetings.
- If the section you are copying specifies meet days and times, you must specify meet days and times for the new section.
- Optional: If your textbook includes the Personal Study Plan® feature, select Enable Personal Study Plan to enable it for your course.
- Select the check box certifying your use of the selected textbook in your class.
Select free additional question sets or Personal Study
Plans® for your course.
The availability of these resources varies by discipline.
- Click Free Additional Content.
- Select the resources you want to use.
- Click Apply.
Override the default copy settings.
Setting Description Copy restrictions (security, time, conditional release) By default, the following restrictions are copied when each assignment is scheduled:
- Password Protected
- IP Address (Location) Restricted
- LockDown Browser Required
- Timed Assignment
- Conditional Release
Group assignment settings and conditional release waivers for students cannot be copied because those settings are unique to the roster of students for each section.
Create a new copy of each assignment
By default, the original assignments scheduled to the section you are copying are scheduled to the new section. This means that if you make changes to the original assignment, those changes are reflected in every section.
If you choose to create a new copy, the original assignments are copied and the copies are scheduled to the new section.Note: You cannot override this copy setting when updating your textbook to the newest edition.
Copy additional instructor access By default, any other instructors or TAs who have access to the section you are copying will have access to the new section. Copy gradebook settings If a gradebook was configured for the section you are copying, it will be configured the same way for the new section.
Clear or select check boxes if you need to change the default behaviors.The following additional section settings are copied to the new section:
- Resource materials that were added or enabled1
- Settings for Ask Your Teacher messages
- Settings for private messages
- Extension request policies
- Click Copy Section to Course.
Always review the section schedule after copying. Usually, some changes are required for the new course. See Reschedule Assignments.
If your school should be billed for WebAssign access — common for high schools — set the student fee payment method for your new section to Bill Institution.