Copy a Section to an Existing Course
If needed, you can copy a section from one course into another course. The section being copied is not changed.
This creates a new section in the course with all of the assignments scheduled from the section being copied. In addition, many of the settings from the original section are copied.
Open the My Classes
Clickand find the section you want.
- Under Class Tools, click Copy to Existing Course.
When prompted, click the name of the course into which you want to copy the
You can select from your current and future courses.
Type a Section.
When copying a section into an existing course, the section number is required.
- Select the primary Instructor.
Specify when the Class Meets.
- If the section you are copying
specifies meet days and times, you must specify meet days and times for
the new section.
Click the days on which the class meets, and type the start and end times.
- If the section you are copying does not specify meet days and times, you can either specify meet days and times for the new section or select No scheduled class meetings.
- If the section you are copying specifies meet days and times, you must specify meet days and times for the new section.
If your textbook includes the Personal Study
feature, select Enable Personal Study Plan to enable it
for your course.
If you are using a textbook bundle, selecting Enable Personal Study Plan enables it for all textbooks in the bundle that offer a Personal Study Plan. You can enable or disable the Personal Study Plan for an individual textbook after creating your course.
If your textbook includes premade Course Pack assignments, select how you
want to add your first assignments.
- I will build my own assignments from scratch
- I want to look at ready-to-use assignments as a starting point
- Select the check box certifying your use of the selected textbook in your class.
Select free additional question sets or Personal Study
Plans for your course.
The availability of these resources varies by discipline.
- Click Free Additional Content.
- Select the resources you want to use.
- Click Apply.
Override the default copy settings.
Setting Description Copy restrictions (security, time, conditional release) By default, the following restrictions are copied when each assignment is scheduled:
- Password Protected
- IP Address (Location) Restricted
- LockDown Browser® Required
- Timed Assignment
- Conditional Release
If an assignment is set to drop restrictions after a certain date, the copied assignment will drop restrictions after its new due date.
Group assignment settings and conditional release waivers for students cannot be copied because those settings are unique to the roster of students for each section.
Create a new copy of each assignment
By default, the original assignments scheduled to the section you are copying are scheduled to the new section. This means that if you make changes to the original assignment, those changes are reflected in every section.
If you choose to create a new copy, the original assignments are copied and the copies are scheduled to the new section.Note Create a new copy of each assignment if you are copying another instructor's course and want to edit assignments.
You cannot override this copy setting when updating your textbook to the newest edition.
Copy additional instructor access By default, any other instructors or TAs who have access to the section you are copying will have access to the new section. Copy gradebook settings If a gradebook was configured for the section you are copying, it will be configured the same way for the new section.
Clear or select check boxes if you need to change the default behaviors.The following additional section settings are copied to the new section:
- Resource materials that were added or enabled1
- Settings for Ask Your Teacher messages
- Settings for private messages
- Extension request policies
- Click Copy Section to Course.
Always review the section schedule after copying. Usually, some changes are required for the new course. See Reschedule Assignments.
If your school should be billed for WebAssign access — common for high schools — set the student fee payment method for your new section to Bill Institution.