Create a New Single Section Course
You can create a new single section course with no scheduled assignments the first time you teach a new class in WebAssign. After you create the course, you can schedule assignments and add more sections if needed.
Alternatively, see Copy a Section to a New Course.
- From the toolbar, click .
- When prompted, select Create a new course with no assignments and click Continue.
- Type a Course Number.
Type a Course Title
for the course.
Best Practice Use Course Name and Course Number in your Course Title, for example, MATH 110.
- Optional: Type a Section.
- Select the primary Instructor.
Select how to manage the course roster.
The available rostering options — if any — are set for each school. For more information, see Rostering Options.
Select the Term, Start
Date, and End Date.
You can type the dates or use the calendar tool.
Specify when the Class Meets.
- Click the icons to select the days on which the class meets, and type the start and end times.
- If there are no scheduled class meetings, for example, for online-only courses, select No scheduled class meetings.
Select the primary
Textbook for the course.
- You can filter the list of textbooks by selecting a discipline.
- You can search for a textbook by typing part of the textbook author,
title, or publisher.Tip Combine multiple search terms with a comma. For example, stewart,calculus,7 finds the short list of textbooks that match all three terms.
- To use textbook questions in your assignments, you must select the textbook from which you want to use questions.
- You are allowed to use textbook questions in your assignments only from the textbook you have adopted for your class.
- You cannot use WebAssign to change the selected textbook after any students have paid for WebAssign access to your course. If you need to change your selected textbook after students have registered, submit a request to Customer Support.
If you are not using a textbook, select the No Textbook check box.
If your textbook includes the Personal Study
feature, select Enable Personal Study Plan to enable it
for your course.
If you are using a textbook bundle, selecting Enable Personal Study Plan enables it for all textbooks in the bundle that offer a Personal Study Plan. You can enable or disable the Personal Study Plan for an individual textbook after creating your course.
- Select the check box certifying your use of the selected textbook in your class.
Select free additional question sets or Personal Study
Plans for your course.
The availability of these resources varies by discipline.
- Click Free Additional Content.
- Select the resources you want to use.
- Click Apply.
- Click Create Course.
A panel might be displayed indicating that a Course Pack is available for your textbook. You can click More Information to preview the available Course Packs, or you can dismiss the panel. See Course Pack Assignments.
If your school should be billed for WebAssign access — common for high schools — set the student fee payment method for your new section to Bill Institution.