Schedule a Location Restricted Assignment
To require your students to complete the quiz or test in a particular lab, or to prevent your students from completing the assignment from a particular location — for example, your classroom — you can allow or disallow individual IP addresses or IP address ranges.
Location restricted assignments are indicated with a network icon .
Before scheduling a quiz or test with IP address restrictions, first identify the IP addresses for computers that your students should or should not use.
When you inform your students about this restriction, describe the computers you want your students to use by location, not by IP address.
- Schedule the assignment, if you have not already done so.
Open the Schedule page and navigate to the
From My Classes, click Class Schedule under Class Tools.Tip Click a scheduled assignment in the Assignments list to view the week for which it is scheduled.
- Beside the assignment, click .
- On the Edit Restrictions page, select IP Address (Location) Restricted.
Specify allowed or disallowed IP addresses for the assignment.
- Select either allowed or not allowed.
Type one or more IP addresses to allow or disallow access from.
- Only IP v4 addresses of the form
For example: 126.96.36.199
- To enter a subnet, type an asterisk as the last value in the IP
For example: 1.2.3.*
- If you enter multiple IP addresses, separate each address with a
comma or space.
For example: 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- Only IP v4 addresses of the form n.n.n.n are allowed.
- Click Add.
The addresses are added to the list. Repeat as needed to specify all the allowed and disallowed IP addresses for the assignment.
- If needed, click to remove an IP address or subnet.
- Optional: Type a message to be displayed to students if they try to open the assignment from a restricted location.
Select Drop Security and Time Restrictions after and
select a date and time after which your students can access the assignment.
Security restrictions (password, IP address, and LockDown Browser®) are not automatically lifted from assignments after the due date. Students can't open timed assignments after the time has expired or due date has passed. Usually, these restrictions mean that your students can't see their scores and feedback for individual assignment questions.
To allow this, either drop the assignment restrictions manually from the Schedule page or select Drop Security and Time Restrictions after and set the date and time to drop the restrictions automatically.Tip If you are using the same assignment for multiple sections, you might not want to drop security restrictions for any section until after the last due date for all your sections has passed.
- Click Save.